I’ve decided I don’t really talk enough about food on this blog, and that’s just unacceptable given how much of it I eat every day. So, I think it’s time to start a little feature on Creature Talk called “Veg-Friendly Restaurant Reviews”! First up is my favorite local Minneapolis restaurant: French Meadow Bakery.
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways…
- Breakfast: There are so few vegan options for breakfast in this town that it’s crazy! I mean, how hard is it to put a freakin’ vegan pancake on your menu? Not very, and French Meadow knows it! They have vegan pancakes, sausage, tofu scramble, and hashbrowns, to name a few. They also have FANTASTIC oatmeal, which you can pile high with nuts and/or fruit, with some brown sugar & soymilk on top.
- Men’s Bread! I know, I know, I’m not a man. But I’ll be damned if that’s going to stop me from eating their super healthy, nutrient-packed, delicious bread. It’s seriously fantastic, and it’s worth every penny.
- Bruschetta – I am something of a bruschetta connoisseur, if you will, and I have deemed French Meadow’s bruschetta as top notch. Try it, you’ll love it. The tomatoes are always fresh, the bread is awesome, and they add capers for a little zing.
- Service: French Meadow’s staff always knows their stuff, and it’s nice to go to a place where you don’t have to explain what vegan means.
- Ambience: French Meadow has a really unique feel. During the day it’s welcoming and bakery-like, but at night it always feels really romantic to me. And a little romance while downing some great vegan food never hurt anybody, especially if you have someone to share it with.
- Menu: Overall, French Meadow’s menu has great vegan options – the tempeh cutlet is one of my personal favorites. They have a vegan special every day and half-priced bottles of wine on Saturdays and Mondays – you can’t beat that!
The only thing I will say from a “needs improvement” standpoint is that while they have a TON of beautiful desserts, only a few of them are vegan. The vegan rice krispie peanut butter bar is delicious, but a couple more options would be great.
Still, French Meadow ranks up there as probably my favorite restaurant in the entire city!
I’m headed down to Tampa, Florida this weekend to visit my sister. She’s scoped out some vegan friendly restaurants for me down there, so hopefully I’ll be able to write a little review of something from there too!